A Hotel Night Without Kids is Like…

…being a kid in a hotel.

Mr. POTL and I slipped away to New York City for a night for a friend’s fortieth birthday party. There are so many things that are out of place with this sentence. Forty? (I was thinking we were still in our early 30′s.) New York City? Us? We occasionally go out in the neighboring suburb. Slipping away? We definitely don’t slip anywhere, not even to the bathroom, without our kids following us. But somehow the moon, the stars, the planets, and all other celestial matters aligned so that we could get out of town. My parents took the kids, and we drove away.

Usually when we’re in a hotel, we’re with the kids, and check-in goes something like this. Me: “Hey, stay over here. Watch out for that lady. Hold on a minute. Watch out for that man. Say ‘excuse me.’ I’m sorry, Sir. You know we’re checking in; it takes a while. Do you want to go to the park later? Then get over here.” By the time we get to our room, I’m sweating, and I can’t even tell you what the lobby looked like. My M.O. is to pass through the lobby as quickly and surreptitiously as possible. We scurry back and forth each time we enter and exit. I keep my head down.

When Mr. POTL and I entered the hotel alone, he went to check in while I ran to this chair and started spinning around in it:

I then grabbed Mr. POTL and made him take a picture with me:

Mr. POTL gets to stay in hotels without kids, so this wasn’t quite the event for him, but (as usual) he humored me. Who danced in the blue (blue?) elevator to the rave music? Us. (But I had the camera, so I have the proof.)

I was like Borat in the cheese section-”And what is thees? And thees?” or Daryl Hannah, as the mermaid in Splash. “Oh my! Look at this!”

Mr. POTL laughed, “Yes, that’s the bar. Mmm-hmmm. Chairs. Mmm-hmmm. Snacks.” And we hadn’t even left the lobby.

I don’t know how to play pool, but guess who played? Me. Simply because there was a pool table in the lobby. I would’ve swung on a trapeze, wrestled in Jello, or flipped on a trampoline if those had been options.

The bar opened at 5:00. We were sitting there waiting at 4:45 because I was drawn to it by its neon lights. So sparkly. So shiny. So silvery.

By the time we left, I was trying to buy one of the spinning pod chairs from the concierge. They were going to get rid of them to get new ones that had i-pod hook-ups. I was trying to find a way to purchase one. And take it home. A spinning pod chair. I wanted to bring a piece of that hotel back to my home. Or maybe I just wanted to bring the pool playing, chair spinning, elevator dancing kid in me back home.

prompt from http://www.mamakatslosinit.com/blog/ - to write about the last time you stayed in a hotel.

This entry was posted in getting freakin' older (aka aging), humor, married with kids, Mr. POTL and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to A Hotel Night Without Kids is Like…

1. Good story, full of adventure. Glad you both let “your inner child” out!

2. Carrie Wattu says:

This is great Amy! I totally relate to the 40s thing and the NYC thing. Now I want to relate to the hotel thing without kids. Unfortunately, the last time we went to a hotel without kids, we did what most kids avoid at all costs: SLEEP!

• Amy says:

Thanks, Carrie. Believe me, we did get our sleep on. Ahhhhh…no feet running down the hallway. Nobody climbing in the bed. That alone is worth the cost of a hotel.

3. kaye says:

It is nice to get away without the kids isn’t it? kaye—the road goes ever ever on

4. HEART!!!!

I love it. My hubby and i don’t have kids yet, but as i am easily amused by everything and everyone, I had no problem imaging this!!

5. Julia says:

Sounds like a great hotel, I would have done the same thing in that chair. Stopping by from Mama Kat’s.

• Amy says:

Thanks for stopping by, Julia. I just discovered Mama Kat’s and am loving it! I hope you find yourself a spinning pod chair…

6. jamie says:

Cool chairs at the bar and a pool table? I would so have been there. Glad you had fun.

7. Mary says:

Hi, Amy! I’m glad you stopped by and said hello. It’s nice to meet someone else who gets the whole Maine thing. Damned if I know why that place has such a hold on me, but I realized a long time ago that it’s not one of those questions that I really need an answer to. I just need to keep embracing it. (Love your header photo, btw)

Sounds like you had a great time in NYC. (Is that hotel in Brooklyn, by any chance?) Letting that inner child out to play is great, isn’t it? I found myself grinning through the entire post. In our case, it would have been my hubby who got to the spinning chair first. He’ll be 53 in a couple of days and he still takes a flying leap onto the bed when we first walk into a hotel room. ;~) I hope you take the opportunity to get away without the kiddos now and then. It really is a good thing for you …and for them.

• Amy says:

Yes, Mary! The Hotel is in Brooklyn. Have you ben there? (As you can tell, I loved it.) Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for sharing!

8. I know the feeling. Only mine usually occurs at Target with my sister, and is nothing as fancy as a trip out of town with the husband. Sounds like you had a great time!